Thursday, October 15, 2015

Wargaming Terrain: Mediterranean Villa

I recently completed a relatively large piece of gaming terrain for use in games of Bolt Action, using plaster blocks made from molds from HirstArts.

It could also be used in any 28mm wargame, including Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy or Kings of War.

The first thing I did was cut out a piece of 3/8" thick MDF to the required dimensions, then sanded down the edges to smooth them a bit.  I had some extra dental stone left over from a previous project, so I made a few molds of that, but I did the majority of the model using Plaster of Paris.  Plaster of Paris is not a very durable material, but it served for this.  We'll see how it holds up to actual gaming.

The molds I used are HirstArts molds #40, #41, #45, #53, #54, #60, #202, #210, and #230.

I drew the basic layout of the floorplan directly onto the MDF, and then started gluing pieces in.
The courtyard and entryway was cobblestone from mold #210 while the hallway tiles were a pattern of tiles from mold #202.  The edges were from mold #54.
I started building up the walls.  I used a form (made of legos) where I could, but in my haste things didn't come out perfectly and everything isn't perfectly aligned. I rationalize this by saying that this villa is old and has survived some settling, ground shifting, earthquakes, and nearby artillery barrages.
I started painting some of the hard to reach places that would become even more inaccessible once the model was completed.  At this point I kept building and forgot to take pictures, so we jump ahead to the final result:
I coated the base in sand and painted it Vallejo Middlestone, and put some static grass on it as well. I made some supports for the roof, then used posterboard as a base layer upon which to mount the roof tiles.
Here is the model with the roof removed for access.  I painted the cobblestone courtyard a variety of shades, and did the same with the terracotta tile roof--little details like this may take a while, but I think the effect in the end makes the extra work worthwhile.
...and with parts of the second floor removed for additional access.
The finished model.
Looking out for any Krauts that might be lurking about...

1 comment: