Monday, December 30, 2013

Laurelin's Tower

For a long while now I've wanted to get some Hirst Arts molds so I could build some castles.  Some, of course, would be for gaming, but I also thought it would be great to use as craft projects to do with my daughter.

So for our first project I decided to do a simple round tower using the 4" Circular Tower Mold #52.  In the end I ended up doing most of the work, but she contributed significantly in every step of the process, and had a lot of fun doing it.  There will be more castle projects in our future!




Here's my daughter mixing some plaster for the molds.
Then while I did some assembly and test-fitting she made some block arrangements.
Here we're using a Pringles can as a form for the circular tower.
The five pieces of the tower, unassembled and ready for painting.
The tower fully assembled and test-fit.
My daughter and I took a trip to the Home Depot to pick out paint colors.  She chose "Chard" green for the interior.
"Deep Amethyst" for the roof.
and "Onyx Black" for the exterior.
After painting, I did a quick drybrush on it, and we did the final assembly.

Here's my daughter and proud builder!  The completed tower is now sitting on top of the bookshelf in her room.

No comments: