For fun I decided to take pictures of a model from start to finish.
1. Assembled: Model cut from the sprue and stuck on the base.
2. Cleaned/Based: Flash lines cleaned up, glued sand and some modeling gravel to the base.
3. Primed: Primed the model with white spray paint (see reasoning below)
4. Basecoat 1:
- Armor: Red Gore/Regal Blue
- Head: Tanned Flesh
- Metal bits/loincloth: Chaos Black
- Parchment: Snakebite Leather
- Base: Goblin Green, Scorched Brown, Dark Codex Grey (50% Chaos Black, 50% Codex Grey--a special pot I mixed up).
- Various wires, etc., Regal Blue, Dark Angels Green, Scab Red.
Obviously the coverage wasn't so great, so that led to:
5. Basecoat 2: Same a Basecoat 1, but with:
- Loincloth: Tin Bitz
- Aquila, Back Banner Eagle, Terminator Honors chain & medallion: Brazen Brass
6. Highlights 1:
- Armor Plates: 50/50 mix of Red Gore/Blood Red and a 50/50 mix of Regal Blue/Enchanted Blue. I thinned the mix down a bit and applied it mostly towards the edges of the plates, but not to the extent of an extreme highlight.
- Parchment: Bleached Bone. I didn't worry about the coverage too much, as the parchment is supposed to look old.
- Face: Dwarf Flesh over most of the face except for the most recessed parts.
- Chainsword Blade/Armor Joints: Boltgun Metal
- Chainsword, Grenade, etc. Dark Codex Grey on the edges.
- Loincloth: Brazen Brass on most of it except for the most recessed areas.
- Aquilas, skulls, chain/medallion: Drybrushed Shining Gold.
7. Highlights 2:
- Armor Plates: Pure Blood Red and Enchanted Blue on the edges of the plates.
- Loincloth: Shining Gold on more raised areas.
- Aquilas, skulls, chain/medallion: Dry brushed Burnished Gold.
- Face: Painted a 50/50 mix of Dwarf Flesh/Elf Flesh on the most raised areas (eyebrow ridges/nose, cheekbones.
8. Final Details:
- Head: Drybrushed some Chaos Black on the skull to give the impression of stubble, then toned it down a little with a thin wash of 50/50 Dwarf Flesh/Elf Flesh.
- Eyes: Painted the Eyes with Chaos Black, then two Skull White dots on either side of a pupil.
- Teeth: Bleached Bone.
- Loincloth: Burnished Gold on the most raised areas.
- Medallion Gem: Painted the gem Blood Red, shaded the top portion with Red Gore, then put a single Skull White reflection dot near the top.
- Chapter Symbol: Painted the Brazen Claws Symbol on the left shoulder pad with Mechrite Red. Then painted it again with a 50/50 mix of Blood Red/Red Gore. Finally cleaned it up by painting over the mistakes with Regal Blue.
After some experimentation, I decided that painting over a white undercoat gave me brighter colors than painting over a black undercoat, so I think that for all my brazen claws going forward I'll paint them with a white undercoat.